My Photo
Location: Athens, Ga, United States

Our son Ryan was diagnosed with stage 4 Neuroblastoma in 2004. In 2007, my wife Missy was diagnosed with stage 2 triple negative breast cancer. On July 8th, 2009, Missy lost her battle to this horrible disease. 2 days later, on July 10th, Ryan also lost his. Together forever, they both watch over our family now from the heavens above. Below is our families journey through Ryan's treatments, along with the joy and laughter we tried to instill into our daily lives. Those days helped us all cope with the pain and suffering that comes with cancer and it's deadly treatments. Both Missy and Ryan endured high doses of chemo, radiation and surgeries. Over 150 nights spent in the hospital and many, many more days. More transfusions than I could count. Yet both Missy and Ryan took on each day with a positive attitude and warm smile for all their friends. We miss them terribly. They will always be a shining light in our lives.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005


Little fever, little cough, still a runny nose and no results

Well, we were right about one thing. Emory is not a children's hospital. We got a little room as soon as we arrived, and it was then we noticed he felt a little warm. It is amazing that you can't get children's Tylenol in the gift shop at Emory or at Egleston. By the time I got back, his IV was done and over, and he and Dad were resting comfortably. It wasn't too long after that when we found out we would not be able to stay with him during the scan. Something we just hadn't thought of. I felt terrible for him. His head was strapped to the table, his feet bound together, and his arms were cinched to his sides with towels, then a full torso vest velcro'd him to the table . He lasted about 25 minutes before someone came to get Les. Ryan was upset, itching, and probably a little claustrophobic. Les stayed with him for the next 20 minutes until it was done. I do want to share the one funny thing that happened that gave us all something to laugh about on the way home. I don't think the radiological running Ryan's test today quite knew how to deal with a 7 year old. First, he told him to "empty his bladder", then I think he realized he wasn't talking to an adult, he told him to "go make pee-pee" before the scan started. Ryan and Dad had fun with that all the way home. We stopped in very quickly to see our favorite nurse, Dawn. Thanks so much, Dawn, for your help and kind words today. He got to go play with his friends, Max and Rachel, for a few hours before his soccer game. He was so happy they got to come to his game. Thanks, Val. I can't believe how hard he played tonight. He really enjoyed it. We were sure hoping for the test results this afternoon, but I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow now. As always, thanks for keeping Ryan in your prayers. Les, Misy, Heidi, Will and SuperRyan

Guest Book: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Add things to your sidebar here. Use the format:
  • Link Text
  • +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++