My Photo
Name:
Location: Athens, Ga, United States

Our son Ryan was diagnosed with stage 4 Neuroblastoma in 2004. In 2007, my wife Missy was diagnosed with stage 2 triple negative breast cancer. On July 8th, 2009, Missy lost her battle to this horrible disease. 2 days later, on July 10th, Ryan also lost his. Together forever, they both watch over our family now from the heavens above. Below is our families journey through Ryan's treatments, along with the joy and laughter we tried to instill into our daily lives. Those days helped us all cope with the pain and suffering that comes with cancer and it's deadly treatments. Both Missy and Ryan endured high doses of chemo, radiation and surgeries. Over 150 nights spent in the hospital and many, many more days. More transfusions than I could count. Yet both Missy and Ryan took on each day with a positive attitude and warm smile for all their friends. We miss them terribly. They will always be a shining light in our lives.

Friday, August 17, 2007

 

Enjoying the last days of summer.

Not much new to update on the medical front. We had Ryan's labs drawn yesterday at Coach Gary's clinic, and Ryan called me after leaving to tell me how great it was. Leslie had been out of town for the last few days so he took him. They were thrilled to see Dylan's mom, Kathleen, meet them at the front desk. Dylan and Ryan swam on the same relays at swim team. We will get results today and hope to see a big increase in his red blood count and platelets. I had explained to Ryan about how low his platelets were on Monday and he got very upset on Wednesday when he thought he was going to lose a tooth. I hated that he was so frightened. He did lose the tooth and we were able to keep the bleeding to a minimum. I am hoping to hear from Emory today that they have scheduled my appt. This waiting around is starting to really get to me. The phone calls, emails, and cards I have received have been so uplifting. I got a very special care package that really, really touched me. Catie's and Mary Grace's mommy's sent me a bracelet engraved with a great message from my cancer-mommy friends to "expect miracles" and a cd full of inspirational songs. We all belong to various groups in our lifetimes ranging from little league sports teams to college sororities and professional colleagues. This family of cancer-mommies is one of the most special groups I have ever belonged to. Believe me, I would give anything to have never belonged, but the relationships I have made during the last three years are with the strongest women I've ever known. Many people have asked how we do it, but I have yet to meet a mom that has crawled under the table and cried the days away. Well, at least more than one day! I am going to expect miracles and I'm going to play my cd when I have to drive down to Emory for my treatments. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and words of encouragement. Please keep praying for Ryan and all his little cancer friends and a cure for all cancers. Love, Les, Missy, Heidi, Will, and SuperRyan

Guest Book: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Add things to your sidebar here. Use the format:
  • Link Text
  • +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++