My Photo
Name:
Location: Athens, Ga, United States

Our son Ryan was diagnosed with stage 4 Neuroblastoma in 2004. In 2007, my wife Missy was diagnosed with stage 2 triple negative breast cancer. On July 8th, 2009, Missy lost her battle to this horrible disease. 2 days later, on July 10th, Ryan also lost his. Together forever, they both watch over our family now from the heavens above. Below is our families journey through Ryan's treatments, along with the joy and laughter we tried to instill into our daily lives. Those days helped us all cope with the pain and suffering that comes with cancer and it's deadly treatments. Both Missy and Ryan endured high doses of chemo, radiation and surgeries. Over 150 nights spent in the hospital and many, many more days. More transfusions than I could count. Yet both Missy and Ryan took on each day with a positive attitude and warm smile for all their friends. We miss them terribly. They will always be a shining light in our lives.

Friday, February 22, 2008

 

Happy Birthday, Heidi

I feel like I am back from a near-death experience. I have never been so sick in all my life. Let me tell you, if you start feeling the flu coming in get to your doctor's office. Do not pass go, do not stop, go straight to the dr. It really hit me hard lunchtime on Wednesday. I went to see my primary care doc Thursday morning really seeking confirmation that I did indeed have the flu. I wasn't really expecting them to be able to do anything for me, but did they ever. I got a script for Tamiflu which I filled immediately. I had been alternating two Tylenol and one Advil. I knew from our experience with Ryan that ibuprofin really works on a fever. Anyway, I found out I could take 4 Advil every four hours! If my fever didn't come down after 8 Advil, I could alternate Tylenol after 2 hrs. Well, it took every bit of that and a tepid bath to finally get my temp down. And, yes, I did have a flu shot. I am really hoping I have turned a corner. My fever broke during the night and I am just trying to keep the meds going to keep it down. I just hope noone else comes down with it. My mom and my sister, Les, and my dear friend, Karen, have been taking care of me and I would hate for one of them to get it. Please say a prayer that they don't.
Today is our sweet Heidi's 15th birthday! Oh My! She is anxious to go and take her driver's test. We are hoping her soccer game will get cancelled today with all this rain. Will is off to his buddy, Jackson's, birthday party tonight and then tomorrow night he is spending the night at the Sunshine House for a sibling gathering. We, or rather, Les will be taking a bunch of girls ice skating tomorrow to celebrate Heidi's birthday-after her driver's test, I'm sure! Sunday is Will's basketball party. Heidi is still practicing basketball for the all-star state tournament in Savannah. Her team (surprisingly) won 2nd place last year and I expect they will do well again.
Our awesome, awesome nurse Dawn called to let us know that her sweet boyfriend is shaving his head for St. Baldrick's. Thanks, Dennis, for helping the kids. Please visit the link and make a donation if you can.
We will have Ryan's labs drawn this afternoon at Coach Gary's clinic to make sure they are high enough to start chemo on Monday. I am looking into a vitamin supplement to try and improve his marrow. I am on the schedule for Monday for chemo again. I do not look forward to starting again, but neither do I want to delay. It seems like such an uphill battle right now. We do keep moving, though. One day at a time.
Thank you for your prayers and for taking this journey with us. Love, Les, Missy, Heidi, Will, and SuperRyan

Guest Book: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Add things to your sidebar here. Use the format:
  • Link Text
  • +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++