My Photo
Name:
Location: Athens, Ga, United States

Our son Ryan was diagnosed with stage 4 Neuroblastoma in 2004. In 2007, my wife Missy was diagnosed with stage 2 triple negative breast cancer. On July 8th, 2009, Missy lost her battle to this horrible disease. 2 days later, on July 10th, Ryan also lost his. Together forever, they both watch over our family now from the heavens above. Below is our families journey through Ryan's treatments, along with the joy and laughter we tried to instill into our daily lives. Those days helped us all cope with the pain and suffering that comes with cancer and it's deadly treatments. Both Missy and Ryan endured high doses of chemo, radiation and surgeries. Over 150 nights spent in the hospital and many, many more days. More transfusions than I could count. Yet both Missy and Ryan took on each day with a positive attitude and warm smile for all their friends. We miss them terribly. They will always be a shining light in our lives.

Monday, July 14, 2008

 

To the E.R.-just to be safe.

We had a nice slow day yesterday. Les and the boys went to see "Hancock" while Gramma and I took Heidi to soccer camp. I miss her already and she won't be home till Friday. :( I am so glad her friend, Michelle, went with her. We have been washing Ryan's hair/head morning and night with Johnson & Johnson and putting antibiotic cream on his sutures. I got worried this morning when some of his hair was stuck to his head. It looked like there was some drainage and/or bleeding. We called Dr. Reisner's office, but we decided after waiting half an hour to just go ahead and drive down to his office. I wasn't going to let them talk me out of it over the phone. He had been on-call all weekend so we didn't expect to see him, but figured somebody could look at it and tell us if there was a problem. His office sent us over to the E.R. so the doc over there called Dr. Reisner and talked to him about Ryan's head. He wasn't too worried since Ryan did not have elevated pressure (intracranial, I'm guessing). They gave us gauze to put on it and some stretchy netting to hold it in place. He has covered it with a cap! We will be able to see how much it is draining. We are going to stay on top of it to make sure there is no problem. Please pray for no infection. That is something I fear-not that I think this is.
I go back to see my plastic surgeon tomorrow. I am anxious to get moving on getting finished with all my stuff-especially before school starts back.
I want to share a funny story with ya'll. You may not think it is funny, though. We have a cat, Freckles. Not a pretty cat or a friendly cat. A lucky cat that Heidi rescued from a storm drain several years ago. Anyway, about two months ago, a small gray cat appeared in our yard. It was starving and very sweet and affectionate, cute, too. We fed it and it stuck around. I met my friend, Diane, a couple weeks ago for lunch. When I left I guess the cat jumped from the top of my car to the top side of the garage door. When I shut the garage door, the cat got trapped in the door. This same crazy thing had happened to Freckles last year, but Freckles was lucky (again) and managed to survive. This pretty kitty was not so lucky. Now all that sounds terrible, and isn't the funny part of the story. The funny part is that our friend, Barre, pulled up in the driveway and saw the backside of this cat sticking out of the top of the garage door and thought it was one of Ryan's tricks. He has had a gray cat (that goes to the hospital with us most times) for years. The kind that doesn't eat, poop, or meow. It just sits. Well, when they discovered it was the real cat, they tried to hide it from him thinking he would be really upset. He saw it and all he said was "Oh crap!". He and his dad buried it and said a few nice words. Crazy!
I will let you know how the drainage goes. Please pray it is all normal. Thank ya'll so much for your prayers and kind words. Love, Les, Missy, Heidi, Will, and SuperRyan

Guest Book: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Add things to your sidebar here. Use the format:
  • Link Text
  • +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++